Welch Village is committed to take an active role in reducing the spread of COVID-19 by creating a safe environment for all of our staff and guests. We have adopted the following protocols based upon the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) as well as the State of MN and local requirements and/or recommendations.
Since the start of the pandemic, Welch Village has been working closely with MN Ski Areas Association (MSAA) and National Ski Areas Association (NSAA) to create a COVID-19 Operations Guide which will be available upon request. Below is a summary of what our guests can expect to experience this winter at Welch Village and other ski areas in our region.
We are all in this together and if we work together...we are expecting a safe & awesome 2020-2021 ski and snowboard season!
Most Recent Indoor seating guidelines (per MN Executive Order 21-1) - updated January 14, 2021
Indoor dining in main chalet We now have very limited indoor seating available in our main chalet only for dining guests only. Reservations are required for the dining area located on the 2nd floor of the chalet. Carry-on food and beverage is prohibited. There is a 20 minute time limit per table. Guests must be seated at all times, and must wear a mask when not eating. Indoor dining is not yet available at Mad Jaxx. All guests are still required to boot up and leave personal belonging in their vehicle.
*2nd floor dining area will close at 7pm each day.
**Time limits on tables is due to the fact that we are only allowed very limited capacity.
Warm up area on the first floor of main chalet There is a warm up area on the first floor of the main chalet. Area for warming up only. Face coverings are required. Max capacity for this space is 20 guests. All guests are still required to boot up and leave personal belonging in their vehicle.
***Capacity is capped at 150 total for the main chalet building including our staff.
Ski Well, Be Well
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, we request that you postpone your visit to a later date: Fever, loss of smell or taste, muscle aches, sore throat, cough, shortness of breath, chills, headache, or nausea. Similarly, our team members are required to perform a wellness screening prior to working and will be prohibited from work if experiencing any of the aforementioned symptoms. We also ask that if you have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or you are positive for COVID-19 that you do not visit our facility until your quarantine is complete in accordance with guidelines recommended by the CDC. When to Quarantine - Click Here
Mask & Face Covering Mandate in the State of MN
The State of MN is currently under an Executive Order requiring face masks and face coverings to be worn in all public buildings and businesses. All guests and Welch Village employees will be required to wear a mask or face covering inside our buildings. In addition to a mask or face covering being required inside our buildings, there will also be requirements to wear a face covering when in lift lines and when riding the chair lift. Please see below for more information.
Americans with Disability Act does not provide an exemption to current face covering guidelines While we understand there are those with disability related issues with face coverings, the Americans with Disability Act does not provide a blanket exemption to people with disabilities from complying with legitimate safety requirements that are necessary for safe operations of a business. We also believe in most cases, people have already worked out related issues with face coverings, given that mask requirements have been broadly in place for many months in order to protect public health. Disability-related mask issues can be frequently resolved by the use of a clear mask, a face shield, or a looser face covering. These alternatives are considered reasonable accommodations to a face covering requirement and will be permitted for those who have a disability that prevents wearing a standard face covering. If these reasonable accommodations do not work for you, we ask you to not visit Welch Village Ski and Snowboard Area right now when we are being asked by the state of MN to follow face coverings set forth by executive order.
Welch Village Policies and Protocols for the 2020-2021 season
What you can expect OUTSIDE:
- Good News! For the most part, COVID-19 shouldn't impact how you enjoy the slopes of Welch Village like you normally do. You should be able to go skiing and snowboarding (for the most part) like you normally do! As long as you are healthy and feel healthy, go ski & ride!
- Face coverings will be required while riding a chairlift or while waiting in a line to ride a chairlift. Please also wear a face covering in any setting outdoors where it's challenging to maintain 6 ft. of social distancing.
- Current Minnesota Guidance requires only those from the same household to ride a chairlift together. Our staff will not be requiring any of our guests to ride the chairlift with anyone that is not from their household.
- Welch Village is working on adding more outdoor amenities like additional fire pits, patio heaters, and outdoor portable restrooms.
What you can expect INSIDE:
- Face coverings must be worn at all times inside Welch Village buildings. 6 ft. of social distancing must be maintained at all times.
- Please plan to treat your vehicle as your chalet this season. Under current Minnesota executive orders, our chalets will only be open for restroom use and for food & beverage ordering/pick up. Our chalets will not have any public seating or public gathering space. Due to these restrictions, all guests will be required to boot up at their vehicle.
- Guests will not be allowed to leave any personal items like bags, coolers etc. in the chalet. All personal items will need to be kept in your vehicle while skiing & riding.
- Welch Village staff will regularly clean and sanitize all high touch surfaces. There will be hand sanitizer available in various locations in all buildings.
- Unless you are ordering food/beverage or using the restroom, all guests will be required to exit the chalet under current restrictions.
Lift Tickets, Rentals, Lessons
- Daily Lift Tickets, Ski & Snowboard Rentals, and Lessons will not be available for purchase on-site. All tickets, rentals, and lessons will only be available for purchase online only. A limited number of daily lift tickets and rentals will be available each day. All online tickets and rentals will be date specific, and you must use the lift ticket and rental on the date that you select at the time of purchase. There will be no capacity restrictions for season pass holders or Labor Day Sale ticket vouchers. Lift tickets will go on sale during early/mid December. It is likely that for the first couple of weekends of the season that we will only be allowing pass holders and those who purchased Labor Day Sale ticket vouchers to ski and snowboard due to limited terrain availability. Once the resort adds more terrain, we plan to add more ticket availability.
-4 and under guests will still receive complimentary lift tickets this season, however, the process has changed significantly due to COVID and there are certain steps that need to be completed in advance of your visit. Please review the instructions on the following link: INSTRUCTIONS TO OBTAIN 4 & UNDER TICKET
- All rental packages must be purchased online this season and are date specific and must be used on the date that you select when purchasing. No refunds, credits or date transfers are allowed.
- All indoor ticket windows will be closed, except for servicing certain products (TBD). We have installed brand new outdoor ticket windows on the slope side patio of the main chalet. There will also be an outdoor ticket window at Jaxx, which will service only season passes (will not service member guest tickets). To redeem your online ticket voucher, bring your paper ticket voucher or screen shot of your ticket voucher on your phone to our main chalet outdoor ticket windows, and our staff will issue your lift ticket. Please come prepared with your ticket voucher barcodes in hand (or screen shot on your smart phone), or you should expect significant delays in receiving your actual physical lift ticket.
- Rentals and lessons will have limited quantities available and will only be able to be purchased online, in advance.
Again, some GOOD NEWS! COVID-19 will enable us to use a more efficient system for season pass holders that should create more efficiency and safe pass holders time receiving their season pass cards and getting their lift ticket each visit. Season pass holders had the option to complete a simple 3 step process to receive their pass card in the mail, however, the deadline to complete the necessary steps to have your pass card mailed was October 18, 2020. If you did not complete these steps by the deadline, we STRONGLY recommend picking up your season pass card during a weekday when our office is open. If picking up on a weekend or over the holiday week, please expect significantly longer wait times (potentially outdoors) this season due to COVID-19 restrictions.
There will be no reservations required or capacity limits for season pass holders on any day during the 2020-2021 season. All pass holders will be able to present their pass cards at the new outdoor ticket windows at the main chalet or at the Jaxx outdoor ticket windows to obtain their physical daily lift ticket.
Food & Beverage - Take Out & Outdoor Patio Dining
- Food service is open 10:30am - 7:00pm daily. The hours of Jaxx are TBD.
- New outdoor food and drink windows at Jaxx, with outdoor patio picnic tables available. (We've added fire pits for warmth)
-Outdoor dining also allowed at our outdoor picnic tables at the main chalet. (We've added fire pits and patio heaters for warmth)
-If guests are not dining at our outdoor picnic tables, guests must bring food and beverage to their vehicles to consume.
- Unless there is a breathing concern, Ski Patrol will require that guests needed patrol care wear a mask or face covering.
- We are adding an additional portable building to allow for increased social distancing for patrol operations.
Ski Shop & Tuning Center
- Ski Shop and Tuning Shop are open for the season but have a max capacity of two people total at a time. - Get your Welch Village branded masks and gators now!
We are looking forward to the 2020-2021 season! Thank you for your patience and understanding while our team is working how to make this season safe and memorable for all. This situation is changing daily. Stay informed by watching our website regularly as well as our social media channels for the latest changes to our guidelines and protocols.
Wayne's Spring Ski & Snowboard Sale Friday, March 5th - Sunday, March 7th
Don't miss the annual Wayne's Ski and Cycle Spring Sale!
Great deals on new & used skis, snowboards, boots, accessories and more! Sale location is the 2nd level of the west end of our main chalet.
Sale hours: Friday 3/5: 12pm-8pm; Saturday 3/6: 10am-6pm; Sunday 3/7: 10am-3pm